Sunday, January 18, 2009

Beware of bad advice

I first started researching hypothyroidism after a friend from work suggested a site to me. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ And, while I was convinced that I had a lot of those symptoms listed there, I wasn't convinced that all of it was related to my thyroid. So many symptoms are so vague and present in so many disorders such as fatigue and depression, etc. So, what was responsible for what? It's like the chicken and egg question. I was/am definitely impressed with the site. But, still...I can't buy into everything I read on there, especially when the information on some of their links are interpreted from people with no medical background. It's basically their opinions, based on their personal experiences. I mean, it's easy to draw conclusions from information we read, and from some of the things that we experience, but sometimes, those conclusions simply aren't correct. That's why we have schools to help us be equipped to practice medicine. It's a practice. It's not something that if you just read enough you are a doctor, or qualified to practice medicine.

I just posted a comment/question on one of the boards about the bitter taste in my mouth. I was referred to a blog of a thyroid cancer survivor. I was shocked that when I went to it, she advocates saying 'no' to a thyroidectomy, even if you have cancer, as well as RAI. That is irresponsible to me. That's practicing medicine without a degree. I mean...to suggest that there might be other options is one thing...but, to advertise that these things aren't good for you just because it may not have been a smooth course of treatment for you is just criminal.

I'm an open minded person. I believe in traditional medicine and holistic and alternative forms of medicine. I think they each have their place. Let's remember that we are all different. Medicine isn't as much of a science as everyone likes to think. It's a mix of art and science. It takes careful evaluation of each individuals situation to determine the best course of action. It's not a one size fits all world for anything, especially when it comes to our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment